Thursday, April 25, 2013

Homeless...

Last night at around 7:30 I came back to campus from downtown in the pouring rain. I was pretty wet and ran inside to get out of the rain. The lights were out because of the weather so it was pitch black. Then, I hear some sound. I panicked a little and grabbed my flashlight thinking someone was in my house. I point my light and sigh a breath of relief, "oh its just water dripping." Wait, what? As I look all around my house my ceiling is leaking EVERYWHERE. My floor in my living room and bedroom are a lake and all of my graduate school notes and outlines and articles I had researched and printed are ruined. I went next door to EMak, who literally shares a wall with me. She' siting on her couch fine. I told her she better check her bedroom and it was just like mine, completely soaked and flooded.

From here we go to our director/landlords house explaining the situation. He doesn't even stop cooking and come look, he just says well if it's really unlivable we can put you in a hotel or you can sleep with someone else. We slept with Erin and Heather in their spare bedrooms. (Thanks so much guys!)

This morning the cleaning people came in and "cleaned" but it doesnt do much since my ceiling is still leaking so the floor is still a pond and it is still unlivable. No one has looked at my house or tried to fix anything. Marcelo hasn't even talked to us about it. Tonight is International Night so I'm sure he'll say he's been busy, but honestly, having a house for your teachers should be more important than a party. School ends in an hour and I honestly don't have anywhere to go back to yet. I will be packing everything up in suitcases and moving to Erin's house because it is the rainy season so the house is just going to continue getting worse, and personally I feel like its only a matter of time before walls and ceilings start collapsing....

Here are some pictures of my house right now:

Wet bedroom walls...


Bucket, 3/4 full of water after last night, in the middle of my living room.

Water dripping down the walls.

Wet support beam. And no my ceiling isn't two different colors, thats all water too.

Poor room... COMPLETELY soaked.

One of my tiles. That tile is actually dry right now. That mark is water damage...

Wet walls...

See the different color around the light? That is not the color it usually is; its all water. I could hear the water dripping into that metal thing this morning...

And water around my electrical things. Because that's safe.


Dereek sloshing around my bedroom this morning.

Moral of the story, I can't live in my house unless I want to get soaking wet, sick from mold and electrocuted. Still not sure where I'm living tonight/the rest of the year since my director is avoiding me...


No comments:

Post a Comment