Monday, May 13, 2013

Beach Weekend and Mothers Day

This weekend was pretty relaxing. It started with a chill Friday in school. Luis had brought in a cool paper airplane book so I used the last period to make/fly paper airplanes which was tons of fun. Then, on Saturday Dereek, Heather, her fiance Scott and I all went to Puinare for the day. We stayed there all day, drank beers, swam, had lunch on the beach. When we left the beach around 4 we went and walked along Paseo Colon and did a bit of shopping at the vendors there. I bought this goregeous painting of Margarita island that I'm going to hang up in my house here then bring home whenever I move back for good. After shopping we all went out to dinner together and this place called Tio Pepes. It was quite good, though it still doesnt compare to many of the restaurants at home.

On Sunday the four of us and Erin and EMak went to Chuck's house to enjoy the pool and a bbq. Chuck is the owner of "the hole in the wall," a restaurant/bar here in Anaco. He is an older man who is from Louisiana but has a house here and in Italy and just travels a lot. He's really nice and I think is kind of bored sometimes so he enjoys the English'speaking company. He made us some great food and his house is within walking distance from the school so it was really easy to just go and hang out there. And of course it's nice to just get off campus.

Finally, today we had our mother's day play. I think its a little ridiculous because the entire school (including middle and high school) need to do something. The whole thing takes over an hour, its hard for my kids to sit through and as much as doing something for mother's day is nice, it should be individual classes doing stuff and not take up my entire day. It's one of my biggest pet peeves about being here, if theres a holiday then no one gives a shit about school (even when there are classes). Personally, I don't think the adminstration sets a very good example for the kids by having these ridiculously long and intricate assemblies and parties for every little thing during teh school day. I think it is simply teaching them that a party is more important than school, and its not. Today even our MAP tests got pushed back because of this. Even though it is really frustrating my kids did a great job and were really really cute. And for being 4-5 years old they sat soooo well for an entire hour. They got extra stickers.

Finally, there are some pictures of a little kitten Dereek and I got about two weeks ago. Its name is Ty and its super cute and technically Im really not supposed to have it, but oh well. He's well-behaved and the school hasn't kept up any of their promises so well so I don't feel bad. Im supposed to have internet and dont, I've lived in three different houses, a shitty roof ruined half my grad school papers, I was told I could get a working visa and now can't soooo I think I deserve a kitten. He sleeps in bed with me and has taken over the pillow and I love him.


My kids with their paper airplanes

Again.

Last one. (Arya is out of these pictures because she was home all week because she fell off the bed and needed to get stitches)


Puinare. We got one of those nice little huts to hang out it. Total cost of one for the day is 25 BsF aka 1 dollar. Whose coming to visit next year??

Sunset in Puerto La Cruz

Pool at Chuck's house.


This is my kids singing thier mothers songs. Here are the lyrics:
A Special Friend (Tune of BINGO)
I have a very special friend
and mommy is her name-o
M-O-M-M-Y M-O-M-M-Y M-O-M-M-Y
and mommy is her name-o
I Love Mommy (Tune of Frere Jacques)
I love mommy
I love mommy
Yes, I do
Yes, I do
All I want to say is
Happy Mother's Day
I love you
I love you

Dereek and Ty

Ty hiding in my arm.


Side-note. This is not a toy, there was a lizzard hanging out in my books this morning when I came in. EMak and I got it out before the kids came in and discovered it thank goodness.

1 comment: