Monday, August 27, 2012

Relaxing Weekend

Thank god I had a nice relaxing weekend, the kids were out of control and crazy today. I had 7 out of 8 and tomorrow they all will be there. For some reason they were just crazy today, it was like their parents fed them sugar for breakfast. Usually they're so good about using toys the right way, instead today they were throwing things and putting stuff down their shirts and just in general being crazy. Hopefully tomorrow is better. I got observed in my writing class and Marcelo was happy with it because the kids were engaged and writing. He likes that I start my classes with 10 minutes of writing about a topic they enjoy. (Trying to boost both their writing ability and their enjoyment of writing)

So this weekend was fun. On Friday we learned how to make arepas. Andreina came over for girls night with Heather, Erin, EMac and I to teach us. They're really easy once you learn how and they are delicious. They definitely might become a large staple of my diet here. I'll have to make them for everyone once I'm home.

Saturday morning we got up and got empanadas and juice. Andreina took us to the place we went this time and it was even more delicious than last week. I had one with chicken in it and it was amazing. And the fresh cantaloupe juice just made it even better. After breakfast Marcelo took us to an open air market which was awesome. Unfortunately they're only open in the mornings during the week and the weekends. They have tons of fresh food and I'm excited to go back to go shopping for tropical fruits. We got to try cachapa while we were there too. It's kind of like a corn pancake. It's made from fresh, sweet corn all ground up and made into a pancake. They eat it with local venezuelan cheese or with butter and it is excellent. I wish I could make that for everyone, but I don't think I can grind up fresh corn the way they do.

Saturday evening Heather and I went to Puerto La Cruz and stayed until Sunday night. Saturday we went to a bridal shop so Heather could try on some dresses then went out to dinner. It was delicious. We also went to a lounge type place for drinks. It was nice getting to go out on a Saturday night since Anaco tends to be so quiet.

Sunday was very relaxing, we spent all morning laying on the beach and swimming. Around 12-1ish we made the long trek to Plaza Mayor (about an hour walk) and had some food and did a bit of shopping there then walked back. It was a trek, but we didn't have much else to do so it kept us occupied. We left PLC at about 5:30ish so it was fairly late by the time we got back to Anaco on Sunday. Overall it was a lovely weekend, back to work unfortunately though.

I also just got the schedule for tutoring, I'll be tutoring for about 4 extra hours a week. I thought it would pay more than it does, I only get 90 Bs per hour, which is under $15. It'll be nice to have an extra $50 a week, but still, it's not as much as I'd thought I'd get to tutor.

Here's some pictures from this weekend:

 Rum costs 25 Bs here, thats about $3 for a whole bottle. We'll be drinking lots of piña coladas

Andreina teaching Erin how to make arepas

 EMac and I with our uncooked arepas.

Cooking my arepas. Mmmm

Walking onto the beach from our house in Lechería.

Our own private beach area.


Open outdoor shopping center. Plaza Mayor.

In Lechería there are all canals and houses with large boats parked outside them as seen here. I wish that was what we had, our own private boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment