Wednesday, August 22, 2012

B is for Binoculars and Birdwatching

Today we did more with the letter Bb. We learned that birds and binocular start with the letter b.

It was fun to get the to see the kids running around with their binoculars. They really enjoyed birdwatching and it was a good way to practice colors. Every time the kids saw a bird they had to tell me what color it was and we'd mark it on a sheet of paper. After about 5 minutes the kids didn't want to mark anything on paper and just wanted to use the binoculars to look at birds; which was fine with me since they were still telling me what color the bird was. Even if they usually speak in Spanish at least they know their colors in English. One little girl (Michelle) ran to another little boy (Sebastian) and said "yo vi un pajaro BLUE!" This means I saw a blue bird, even if the rest is in Spanish, I was pretty happy to hear her use at least one English word while talking to her friend. It's nice, even if they only speak in Spanish, my Spanish is getting better again so I can for the most part understand everything they say to me.Which is mainly, "I need to use the bathroom," "push me on the swing," "he/she hit me/took my toy," and "can we play on the playground?"

Earlier in the day the kids learned how to play a color game. The teacher before me had ordered lots of cool games, but I didn't put them out because I didn't want all the kids losing pieces and ruining them. I'm slowly starting to introduce the games to the kids. Today they learned a color matching game and I will now leave that out as an option for center time.

After Birdwatching with Binoculars, we read some books for SSR like we do every day. They are getting much better about sitting quietly for 10-15 minutes and looking at books. I do wish we had more books for them to look at though, the classroom library is pretty small and the books are really falling apart. I'm trying to create a library of printable books that they've colored in for them to use as well, this takes a little bit of time though.

Over all it's been a good day. I'm tired though, we have a meeting today after school (the third one this week...) We also have open house on August 30th so I'm trying to get things ready for that as well.. busy busy busy. Maybe Puerto La Cruz to hang out on the beach this weekend?


Michelle and Sebastian crafting their binoculars

Kenvi looking through his binoculars

Going bird watching outside

I only had 5 kids in class today

Running towards or away from birds. We did find an iguana which I had to try and keep them from trying to catch. I wish the iguanas were more scared of people, the kids can get close enough to touch them before they move...

Learning how to play our new color game


Sebastian and Michelle were so cute reading together. She "read" him the spot story. In English every page says "Where is Spot? Is he in here?" and you lift up a flap and another animals says no. She read it in Spanish saying "Ha visto mi doggy?" "Nooo." Which when translated from her Spanish/English mix means "Have you seen my doggy?"

No comments:

Post a Comment