Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Mangos!!

It is finally mango season!! Yesterday Nicola (another teacher here) got some mangos down from the tree for me. Dereek cut one open (I'm kind of freaked out because I don't want to find a worm in one which is pretty common) and I ate it. It was delicious!! I have two more here and the trees are FULL of mangos. Apparently in the next week or two we are going to have more mangos than we know what to do with. Guess I've got to start looking for some recipes that include mango. We also have cashew trees. Little did I know but cashews have a fruit that you can eat. Marcelo gave me one to try, but I smelled it and decided I didn't want to try it. It really does not smell good at all, I will stick to my mangos. Unless someone wants to roast the cashews so they open up and I can get to the nut. I was told they are very oily so you can't roast them inside because they have the potential to explode and set things on fire. I really want the nut though. Until I figure out how to roast cashews I will be enjoying the abundance of mangos.


Nicola getting mangos. In case you were curious mango trees are large, you use poles to get the mangos down. If you wait until they fall they aren't good anymore.

Marcelo (my director and boss) getting mangos out of the tree for us.

Group mango picking effort.

Enjoying my mango!

Yum yum yum yum... free mangos!!! 

1 comment: