Monday, September 17, 2012

New House and Plantains

Don't have much time to update, but I am now moved into the new house!!! Pictures will come when I have some time to take them and upload them. The move made for an interesting weekend. It began on Friday at 8:45 during my planning period when I was abruptly told to go to my old house and move everything out and that the workers would help me. Suddenly I had about 5 men going through my cabinents, drawers, everything and moving all of my things. It was all haphazardly thrown into the new house and then I had to go back to teaching. Directly after school Andreina, Heather, Erin and I went downtown to the salon to begin our lazer hair removal (which takes forever) and the lights went out so we got stuck downtown. We didn't get back until about 9 at night and I had my house an absolute mess. At this point I began to realize that though I was told the house was finished, it wasn't. I had no tv, internet, hot water, cabinent/shelf space or closet space. Dereek was over and got to listen to the bulk of my complaints and was nice enough to help me set up the things I could. I was too tired to do much on Friday and then Saturday morning we went to the market. I really enjoy our Saturday morning market excursions, but then afterwards I had to take the time to figure out the house situation. I took from about noon until 4 or 5 to unpack, organize and be creative and make things work. I spoke with Marcelo and Patricia and we got the tv and internet working. I sitll lack hot water and working drains (that is supposedly being fixed as I write this) and my closests aren't done, which may never happen and I may be living out of Erin's closet for quite a while. I'm feeling much less stressed about the chaos that my house was in and will be going out today with Erin and Heather to look for things to help me organize and make it look homey.

Side note: Since I have the pictures already uploaded, Dereek showed me how to tell when a plantain is ripe and how to cook them so I made me first fried plantains yesterday. Dereek took some pictures for me to put up. I'm loving learning to cook here since everything pretty much simply involves throwing whatever we're making into a pan. It is the easiest country ever to cook in.



1 comment:

  1. you're so tan! everyone (but me unless you beat me too which is entirely possible) will be so jealous when we see you in december!

    ReplyDelete