Saturday, September 29, 2012

Arepas and Fall Crafts

This week has been pretty uneventful. I haven't been feeling too great, but I'm definitely feeling better than I did earlier in the week. All week we've done a lot of stuff in pre-k having to do with the fall season and Johnny Appleseed (Since Thursday was his birthday.) The kids were crazy and exhausting this week for some reason, but we got to do some fun crafts and things.
We made these really pretty stained-glass type leaves with tissue paper, brown construction paper and contact paper. Sometimes I'm creative.

Changed how centers work since my class as grown. Clearly it's working pretty well, they're all sitting down doing what they're supposed to.

Watching a movie on Johnny Appleseed. I can not wait until I have my projector so I don't need to keep trying to move everyone to my computer whenever I want to show a five minute video.

Celebrating Johnny Appleseed's birthday by tasting some apples.

Mmm. Enjoying our apples. The kids didn't like the apple skins to much through.

Cutting out apples and leaves and practicing sorting them into correct categories. We've been working on our cutting skills quite a bit.

We haven't done anything else too exciting in class, but for my master's degree class I had to put together a presentation to teach the class about a vocabulary word that they wouldn't know. (Our unit right now is vocabulary instruction) I did my presentation on arepas and Dereek came over and helped me cook/film the process for the project. Here's some pictures from our adventure making arepas. We had tried two other times but the electricity had went out so it didn't work. 
Cutting up the plantains to put in our arepas

Avacado

Making the dough for arepas

Trying to cook in my little tiny kitchen. This is all the counter space I have. I also had no cabinets minus what you can see and the sink is literally the size of that plate that is next to it. I have since gained a kitchen table and some shelves though and it's making my life much easier. Time to start decorating. =)

Frying our plantains.

The delicious finish product. 

One other fun little picture. I went out for my morning run a couple days ago and about halfway around the track I tripped over this little kitten. It was cute and meowed so I pet it for a minute. I tried to keep running but it followed me. It wouldn't leave me alone and was obviously hungry so I let it follow me back to my house and I gave it some milk and chicken. I was at school all day and had workers in my house so I couldn't keep it inside. I don't know where he/she went to, but it was adorable for the morning!
Cute little kitten.

Not too much else to report. Dereek and I went to the market again this morning. Got some food and juice from the same person that we did two weeks ago. He asked if we'd be here next week (which we will be) and said that if we come back he'd make our pineapple juice into a pineapple cocktail. Sounds like a good way to start the morning. We will be in Anaco on Saturday, but next Sunday we leave to go to Trinidad and Tobago for a week to renew our visas. Definitely excited to leave the country, travel and relax for a bit. Only one week!! We also looked into booking our trip to Angel Falls for Thanksgiving break. Theres 7 or 8 of us going so they're going to give us a discount. I haven't been into the jungle since being in Ecuador so I'm very excited about that!

Also, for all you New Girl fans, my friend Erin is downloading all the newest seasons of shows so last night I was able to watch the newest New Girl. I will never stop loving Schmidt. He is the absolute best part of that show. I miss watching it all together though before going to out Trivia Night. xo




1 comment:

  1. omg i just did a lsat problem on johnny appleseed and i had no idea it was his birthday! this is why your blog rocks.

    and you have your own live version of the gateway kitty!!!!

    ReplyDelete