Sunday, August 18, 2013

First Week of School

So the first week of school is officially over, and the second starts tomorrow. Kindergarten is definitely one of the more exhausting grades I've taught. Older kids are used to being in school for the full day, and preschool children go home at noon. Kindergarteners are still adjusting to the full day, and, especially at the beginning, have a preschool mindset making the full day exceptionally difficult for them. I've also found that this grade is so exhausting, because here we have to supervise our children at lunch and parents are very adamant about their children eating all their food. I spend my entire lunch period, policing my kids to make sure they eat enough, this also leads to me not getting to eat my own lunch very often... Hopefully this will get easier later in the year when the kids are used to eating on their own.

School has been going well though. The kids seem happy and I'm proud at how much they remember from last year. I'm also excited to have Casian as my assistant in the afternoon. She is great with the kids and it'll be good to let her work individually with the children who need a little extra help. I also have 7 kids in my class (though Marcel hasn't come back yet because he had had eye surgery over the summer) which is a great number. Not too many, not too few.

We've mostly been reviewing information, playing educational games, using play dough, practicing our handwriting, and talking about the rules and expectations of a kindergartener.

This weekend was nice. I went to the beach yesterday with Andreina and we met the other new teachers  (J, Shannon, Matt and Morley) at the beach house. They were overwhelmed with new things so they just wanted to hang there instead of going to an island. Maybe next weekend we can go. I think they'll be really excited when they see how nice the Mochima National Park islands are. Since we didn't go yesterday we spent the day just sitting on the beach near the beach house and swimming while drinking beer and eating chips and avocado. It was a relaxing day. Andreina and I got lucky and Patria was in Puerto La Cruz, so we met her at Puerta Real, had dinner and she drove us back home.

A crazy thing happened while at the beach though. We were sitting on the sand then we suddenly hear a boom, look over, and see a huge fire and lots of smoke. Apparently a boat had caught on fire somehow. There was a decent amount of fire and a lot of smoke. It was on the other side of the canal so no one our beach could do anything but watch. Hopefully everything is okay. I'm looking to see if theres any small news stories on it. Currently the news here is more focused on an explosion at the oil refinery in Puerto La Cruz that happened a few days ago when lightening hit the refinery. No one was injured but it was big. Here's the story about it and a picture Oil Refinery Explosion

Overall its been a good start to being back and I've been enjoying my time here. Off to go finish laundry and get some school stuff done for tomorrow.

Carol using play dough

Hakim made a weight out of play dough

For art we made self portraits

Marian practicing her hand writing

The fire at the beach in Puerto

Lots of smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment