Monday, November 19, 2012

Past Three Weeks

I've lacked functioning internet for some time now. About 2-3 weeks ago the internet in my house stopped working so I had to rely on the school internet, then a week ago internet everywhere on campus went down and for whatever reason the problem has yet to be resolved. I am the only person with internet because Dereek was nice enough to help me get this little usb internet thing. It's super annoying because now it's another monthly cost that I wasn't supposed to be spending, but with grad school courses all being online, I need internet and obviously the school can't provide that like they said they would. There are things that I love about this school and things I hate. The longer I'm here the more I see some other sides to people and the school that I didn't in the beginning.

Now backtracking a couple of weeks. It was Halloween! The school had a large Halloween party here, they took over the library for about 2-3 weeks to make it into a haunted house. The haunted house was really cool when it was done, but I think the school has their priorities seriously in the wrong place. The PTA also decorates the school and they had a fake person hanging by the neck from the front. It scared the younger kids and personally I thought it was highly inappropriate to decorate the school this way. It was honestly shocking to see for the first time, but of course, like usual, the director can't ever seem to say no to the parents despite the number of times he tells us "he's not there to be their friend..." The party after school was cute. The kids trick-or-treated to our houses. I dressed up as Snow White (we got costumes made specifically for us, all the teachers were princesses) Here are some pictures.

Marcel and his family

Luis and his dinosaur pumpkin with Marian and Martina behind.

The teachers as princesses for the party at night.

Selma was also Snow White

The chaos that is pumpkin carving during the day

Some of the finished pumpkins



Another cool thing I got to do in the past few weeks was learn how to make paella from Dereek's dad. I got to learn how to clean all the seafood and Dereek and I had lunch with his family that Sunday. It was a nice day and I got lots of good food out of it. Here's some paella pictures.

Cutting the vegetables

Cleaning squid

Final paella product



I've done some other things but this is already taking a long time to write and upload stuff so I'm leaving it at this for now. Expect some cool upcoming posts. Tuesday is Thanksgiving dinner here where all the parents cook us what we would usually eat at Thanksgiving if we were at home. Then on Wednesday we leave to go to Angel Falls and we get back on Saturday. Finally, Dereek and I are going to go to Araya Penninsula in December. It's our Christmas present to each other and I get to spend part of my winter on the beach. =)

***Maybe I'll try and add more pictures when the internet works better... I'm really struggling with uploading anything right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment