Saturday, October 5, 2013

Finished with first quarter

I've been pretty awful about posting this school year. I suppose this is because there isn't much new in comparison to last year and I don't want to bore anyone reading this. At the moment I'm pretty amazed that we're already done with the first quarter of school. I've been super busy with work lately since it's about report card times and CEIA makes us write a short essay on each student, which I'm pretty sure half the parents don't/can't read anyway since it's in English. Other than that I have a pretty big grad school project due tomorrow, but I finished it today and submitted because I've lived here long enough to never trust that the day something is due there will be internet/electricity.

Not all that much new going on, but school's been going pretty well. After school I've been tutoring one of my students two days a week and after break I'm going to start tutoring another one. Both have very minimal English and the one that I'm going to start tutoring is particularly far behind. Hopefully this helps. During the day everything's been good. We've been doing some pretty fun things and pretty cool projects. At the moment we're learning about animals and where they live so we're doing a big science project for that. We predicted what animals would be outside, then we went outside to do "research" and see who actually lived there, then we had a long discussion about which animals were easy to see and draw pictures of (iguanas) and which ones were hard (birds). We then talked about how we could maybe get the birds to stay in one place so we could see them better and after a lot of discussion the students came up with making bird houses/feeders, so on Friday I had them draw designs for them in their science notebooks. They came out really cute and it was really fun trying to watch them come up with ideas. Last week we also did tons of stuff revolving around Johnny Appleseed since September 26th is his birthday. Overall things have been good. I have cute pictures. And I leave for Panama in less than a week. =)

Marian doing some art.

It was Marian's fifth birthday in late September. She didn't do much in school, but she got to wear that silly hat all day.

This is our Johnny Appleseed writing craft. I thought they were pretty cute. 

We were learning how to count by 5s so I told them to use their hands to trace and find out how many fingers are in kindergarten. Then they were given apples and had to put them in groups of five to find out how many apples I had. 

Kenvi outside drawing what animals he sees in his science journal. 

Marcel hiding from the camera. 

Dominick, very hard at work drawing/writing his animals.

Carol, also very focused on what she is working on. 

Half of  my class trying to stalk an iguana to try and draw a picture of it. 

Everyone outside doing "research" 

We've been learning about mixing colors in art and using different things to make cool textures. This is one of our painting utensils.

Kenvi painting

A good example of our cool painting with different materials. 

That's about it. Wish I had more to say, but no news is good news I suppose. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment