Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer Travel Reading

To get in travel mode I have an extensive list of travel books. I doubt I can get to all of them by the time I leave, but here is the long list I'm attempting. If you've read any or have any other contributions shout it out.

Blessed, Brian - Quest for the Lost World
Bryson, Bill - In a Sunburned Country
                    - The Lost Continent
Butcher, Tim - Blood River
Chatwin, Bruce - In Patagonia
Coelho, Paulo - By the River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
                       - The Alchemist
Cohen, David - One Year Off
Conan Doyle, Sir Arthur - The Lost World and Other Stories
Crouch, Gregory - Enduring Patagonia
Garland, Alex - The Beach
Ghinsberg, Yossi - Jungle: A Harrowing True Story of Survival
Greenwald, Jeff - The Size of the World: Once Around Without Leaving the Ground
Guevara, Che - The Motorcycle Diaries
Hanson, Eric - The Bird Man and the Lap Dancer
Harrer, Heinrich - Seven Years in Tibet
Herndon, William Lewis - Exploration of the Valley of the Amazon
Iyer, Pico - Video Nigh in Kathmandu
                - Wanderlust: Real-Life Tales of Adventure and Romance
Kerouac, Jack - The Dharma Bums
Kohnstamm, Thomas - Do Travel Writers Go to Hell?
Lansing, Alfred - Endurance
Ligato, Richard and Amanda - Wide-Eyed Wanderers
Matthiessen, Peter - The Cloud Forest
Maugham, W. Somerset - The Summing Up
Newby, Eric - A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush
O'Hanion, Redmond - In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinocco and the Amazon
Park, Mungo - Travels in the Interior of Africa
Parris, Matthew - Inca-Kola
Potts, Rolf - Vagabonding
Roberts, Gregory David - Shantaram
Robertson, Ruth - Churun Meru: The Tallest Angel
Salak, Kira - Four Corners: Into the Heart of New Guinea - One Woman's Solo Journey
Smith-Bendell, Maggie - Rabbit Stew and a Penny or Two
Theroux, Paul - Dark Star Safari
                       - The Great Railway Bazaar
Thomsen, Moritz - Living Poor
Weiner, Eric - The Geography of Bliss

Yes, it's an extremely long list. I'm going to read in no particular order, just whatever the library has and I feel like reading at the moment. To begin I picked up The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac and am actually almost done. I'll be crossing books off as I finish.


Mt. Roraima, the point where Venezuela, Guyana and Brazil meet. Also the location of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's book "The Lost World and Other Stories"

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allison,
    Thanks for following my blog! I'm teaching at an international school in Ecuador, so if you ever have any questions about the job, or life in Latin America in general, let me know!
    I have a recommendation for your list of books that I think is especially relevant for anyone in South America:
    The Lost City of Z, by David Grann.
    McKenzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi McKenzie
      I will def. look into that one! I'm glad you commented, I happened to stumble upon your blog accidentally, but after reading some of your older posts I believe I've actually met you briefly while working with UBECI in Ecuador. I think we only overlapped for a day or two, but you knew Marpessa, correct?

      Delete